Planning your dream wedding can be a joyous time. At the same time, its no secret that wedding planning can also be a bit overwhelming and stressful. You will have countless decisions to make and lots of details to keep track of, it is easy to fall into these common pitfalls if you are doing it all on your own.
As a seasoned wedding planner, I've had the privilege of working with numerous couples to create unforgettable celebrations of love. Through these experiences, I've learned a thing or two about what works and what doesn't when it comes to planning the perfect wedding. We pride ourselves on planning a smooth and successful wedding day production for our clients.
In this blog post, I want to share with you seven common mistakes to avoid while planning your wedding. By being aware of these potential pitfalls and arming yourself with the right knowledge, you can ensure that your wedding planning journey is as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Whether you're just starting your wedding planning adventure or find yourself in the midst of it, this blog post is here to lend you a helping hand. Together, we'll navigate the twists and turns of the planning process, ensuring that you're well-prepared to create the wedding of your dreams.
So sit back, relax, and let's dive into the seven mistakes to avoid while planning your wedding. Believe me, with a little guidance and a lot of enthusiasm, you'll be well on your way to saying "I do" to a truly remarkable celebration.
1. UNDERESTIMATING THE BUDGET
Failing to establish a realistic budget can lead to overspending and financial stress. Plan ahead, prioritize expenses, and allocate funds wisely to avoid going overboard. It is important to factor in all total costs including venue, catering, decor, DJ and all other vendors that you will want to bring your celebration life. We recommend researching the cost of your preferred vendors so that you are well informed about the actual costs and from there, you can create a realistic budget. If you need more help creating a realistic budget, check out our blog on How to Create a Realistic Wedding Budget.
2. IGNORING THE TIMELINE
Timelines are crucial for a smooth wedding planning process. Neglecting to create a comprehensive schedule can result in last-minute rushes, loss of services from your contracted vendors, missed deadlines, and unnecessary chaos at your wedding. We pride ourselves on creating a very detailed timeline and we have our day of wedding specialists to ensure the timeline is being met as much as possible.
3. CHOOSING THE WRONG VENUE | Picking a venue without considering its capacity, accessibility, and ambiance can lead to logistical challenges and disappointment. Research thoroughly and visit potential venues to ensure they align with your vision. For our full service clients, we assist with venue sourcing to ensure that your venue aligns with your budget and vision.
4. OVERLOOKING THE GUEST LIST | Not finalizing the guest list early on can cause complications when it comes to your budget, catering, seating arrangements, and overall logistics. Define your guest list early to avoid unnecessary confusion later. Set an absolute cut off date for RSVPS. We recommend coming up with your guest list early on by starting with the people who MUST be there for you and working your way day to the "maybe" category of your guest list.
5. DIY OVERLOAD | While adding personal touches is wonderful, attempting DIY projects can overwhelm you and lead to incomplete or subpar results. Often times brides rally the help of family members and we’ve seen major disappointments relying on family and friends. Be realistic about you and your families’ crafting abilities and remember there are certain aspects of your wedding that we recommend leaving to the pros such as decor, catering, photography and cake!
6. NEGLECTING COMMUNICATION WITH VENDORS | Poor communication with vendors can result in misunderstandings and unexpected surprises on your big day. Maintain open lines of communication to ensure your vendors understand your vision and expectations. It is important that all of your vendors are on the same page to make your wedding day production a success! We like to OVER communicate to avoid missing important details. Remember to treat your vendors respectfully and be polite during your communications since your vendors are the ones that actually create the big production for you. We've seen client miss out on their favorite vendors due to poor or hostile communication. Keep in mind no one wants to work with a Bridezilla or Groomzilla!
7. SKIPPING THE PLAN B | While optimism is key, preparedness is crucial. Don’t leave your wedding fate to chance—have contingency plans in place. Failing to have a backup plan for weather or unexpected mishaps can lead to chaos on the day of the wedding. This goes back to ensuring your venue is perfect for the season, guest count and logistics.
Hopefully you have a good idea of what not to do while planning your wedding. If you are feeling stuck, low on time or completely overwhelmed, we would be glad to help you plan your big day. Schedule your free consultation here! We can't wait to speak with you.